Cellar cleanup part 1

On friday I started looking around in my cellar to find some room for the new wines that I bought the week before and bumped into some wines of which I was absolutely unsure if they were still drinkable or not.

One was a Cabarnet Sauvignon from Delhaize (the link points to the 2007 vintage), but I still had 1999 in the cellar. It actually did remarkably well considering its low price and old vintage. It wasn't exactly full bodied or anything but although the cork had clearly suffered a lot there was no oxidation and the wine hadn't evolved to tuile colour yet. In fact it only just started to loose its red colour it seemed.

Another one was untracable Merlot 2003 from Pays d'Oc, but this one I tasted only very briefly to notice that it had turned undrinkable due to oxidation. Colourwise this wine had about the same colour as the 1999 Cab Sav above which indicates that colour alone doesn't always allow to guess a vintage.

The last bottle we tried was a white Argentinian wine  also from Delhaize, but this time we had the 2002 vintage in stead of the 2008 that is currently on the shelves. I personally did not like it at all anymore as there was a very pronounced mineral taste that didn't fit me, but both my parents in law did enjoy it. 

Les goûts et les couleurs, ça ne se discute pas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be gentle when giving comments, my whole family is also reading this ...