Icono wine (by Sideral)

We've been drinking this Icono 2002 wine bought at Delhaize last yearlast friday and as I am preparing a talk about Chilenian wines I tried to dive a big deeper into the background of this wine.

When buying the wine we did recognize this Sideral as a wine that we already bought at Mondovino a few years back, although this is a completely different ballgame at about 3x the price of this Icono.

Apparently the company that produces these wines, Viña Altaïr (originally Vina Totihue), is a joint venture between Vina San Pedro and Chateau Dassault (a Grand Cru Classe in Saint Emillion).

Their website only mentions the Sideral wine and an apparently even better (Parker score at least) Altair wine that I haven't seen in Belgium yet. If anyone can explain me what this Icono wine actually is or where I can find more information, drop me a note. (Chances are that it is specially made for Delhaize though)

So far for the background, when drinking this wine you'll see it starts to show some age (2002 is already 7 years ago), both in the colour and the smell (some forest wood and jammy). But the small of cassis (from the Cabernet Sauvignon no doubt) is really still spectacular (and nice).
Qua taste it is a typical wine that we like and drink most often: high alcohol, full taste, some tannines, etc.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Small update by myself: Today I drank the Sideral 2003 as the Belgian Importer was at the Wine World tasting event in Antwerp.

    I asked him about this Icono wine and according to him it is a wine made by Sideral, but using grapes from San Pedro (the mother company)

    ReplyDelete

Please be gentle when giving comments, my whole family is also reading this ...