Renwood 2005 Old Vine Zinfandel

This evening (after dinner when the kids were in bed) we opened a bottle of 2005 Old Vine Zinfandel that we bought at Nieuwe Wereld Wijnen during a wine tasting in Sint Antion

Renwood WineryImage of Renwood Winery via Snooth

us-Zoersel last april.

We don't regularly drink any Zinfandel wine, as I have probably been mistaken Zinfandel for meaning cheap and not often very good (the most recent/decent zinfandel I drank before is probably the - non comparable - Gallo Family Zinfandel), but this Renwood one is really good.
I recall that Renwood also has some wines that are even older, but those bottles were too expensive to appreciate the difference with this Old Vine bottle.

As you can see on the site it is apparently made of mostly old vines of at least 45 years old. I am not entirely sure what this does to a wine (according to Wikipedia it makes the fruit more concentrated which could indeed be true), but I sure like the result.

The colour of the wine is a deep intens red that does not really show its age yet. Qua taste it has a perfect mix of body, taninnes and sourness (we would score this +0,5,+0,5,+0,5 in the Tastevin Confrerie I would think). Even though the alcohol percentage is very high (15%), it is not present in the taste which makes this a very drinkable wine: enjoy it when you can.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. My boyfriend is tasting this right now ... I bought him this kind because first it has a decent price - not very cheap, and I like the label design...I was hoping he would like it - the wine has been at home for already over a week...he is saying it smells a fruit but he doesn't know what that is...I don't mind that, the most important thing is - He likes it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please be gentle when giving comments, my whole family is also reading this ...